Saturday 14 November 2020

Bokslozgo "The Absolute Universes" - Generating my DF World

     Hello all! As I explained in my last post, the first step to playing dwarf fortress is generating a world. In this post I will briefly go over the world I generated for my upcoming fortress mode game which I will detail on this blog.

    For this world I used the standard settings, only changing the size. The medium size is a bit big for my tastes and it takes substantially longer to generate. History, number of civilizations, number of beasts, maximum number of sites, number of beasts, natural savagery, and mineral occurrence were all set to medium. After the worlds history had been simulated for 250 years I exported it to legends viewer so that I could get to grips with it before starting my fortress.


    The image above is a complete map of the world, which is known as Bokslozgo "The Absolute Universes." It is comprised of a single large landmass with glaciers directly to the North and South. Only the western and north-eastern portions of the world are significantly populated by civilized people. The north-eastern lands are controlled by several densely populated human civilizations, and the western lands are controlled by a chaotic mix of humans, elves, goblins, and necromancers. The southern tips of both western peninsulas are almost solely inhabited by goblins, with several of their largest dark fortress having nearly ten thousand goblins each. The more northerly of the western peninsulas is heavily forested and the main base of power for the elven civilizations. The area between the goblins and elves is a mish-mash of all the races, including the single beleaguered dwarven civilization. 
    The worldwide population chart above demonstrates just how poorly the dwarves are faring in this world. Compared to the tens of thousands of humans and goblins there are only around 800 living dwarves in the world. Their civilization, the Tattooed Knives, has been the target of many wars of aggression perpetrated by its larger neighbors, and it is very likely that it could be extinguished altogether in the near future. As the Tattooed Knives is the only dwarven civilization my upcoming fortress will surely become a part of it. Currently the leader of the Tattooed Knives is the Queen Asmel Merchantclearings who has ruled since the year 238.

    Aside from a general overview I did learn a couple interesting tidbits about this world. For instance, the war of savagery, war between a group of human necromancers and their creations and a mighty goblin civilization, has been going on for nearly 200 years and has claimed upwards of ten thousand lives. As a patriotic dwarf I laud the extraordinary thoughtfulness of the necromantic creations and goblins in saving my kin and I the trouble of slaying them. The historical figure that had gathered the most kills was a bronze colossus with well over a hundred attributed kills, whose rampage was ended in a fight with a giant grizzly bear.
        
    This world is fertile ground for an entertaining dwarven fortress. In accordance with the game's motto of "losing is fun" I firmly believe that DF is at its finest when you are faced with insurmountable odds and a host of fearsome, overbearing enemies. In my next post I will embark and first "strike the earth" at the site of my new fortress. Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome.

Here is the world's generation parameters for those interested: Bokslozgo World Gen Param

2 comments:

  1. This save looks like fun, could you please upload a save

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure! I've updated this post with a link to the worlds world gen parameters on google drive.

    ReplyDelete

Ducimmonag 7 - Harnessing the Beasts

Opal, Year 252           A terribly tragic accident has struck us. Udil the miner fell to his death while working on our new trap hall. This...