Sunday 15 November 2020

Ducimmonag 1 - Strike the Earth!

     Before I begin I would like to say thank you to those who developed and update the texture pack Phoebus and the utility Dwarf Therapist both of which I use in this game.

-----

 Hematite, Year 250

       As expedition leader and the most learned member of  our group, I, Ilral Roldethsolon, have taken it upon myself to keep records of our fortresses foundation. While we are still only a small outpost I hope that in time we will become a sprawling mountainhome. My six friends and I have been assigned by royal decree to establish a new fortress for our great civilization. We have been sent far from our homes to the White Fieldss, an area of grasslands directly east of the terrifying southeastern mountain range. Our fortress will be built beneath the site of two brooks meeting and descending downwards in a spectacular waterfall. Other than two giant sponges lurking menacingly in the water we are alone here. The closest town is many days march to the north in the eastern human lands so news will be hard to come by, but at least we are far removed from the filthy warrens of the goblins. I have included a rough map of our location above.

    After careful consideration my compatriots and I decided to name our group "The Lean Stakes" and our fortress Ducimmonag, or "Workdrilled." Upon reaching our location we immediately began to work, and have not ceased since. Carving a home out of this untamed wilderness is brutally difficult work. We dug a staircase a short ways downwards and upon reaching a shallow layer of  phyllite began to mine out a simple prelude to our fortress consisting of a main hall, a workshop area, several modest rooms, and room for stockpiles. In the layer of soil higher up we have begun work on a small plump helmet farm and an area to hold our pigs. With so few to cover so much work we are all eagerly awaiting the arrival of migrants from the mountainhomes to ease our load.

    Before closing off this entry into the records I will describe us few hardy individuals  that currently make up the lean stakes and how we have been getting on in this wilderness retreat. First there is Lobram Tolunsolon, our resident mason. He shares my love for parties and merrymaking and we are good friends. Bomrek Onulrur is our most skilled miner, although like myself she has been stressed lately due to the lack of time off. Fikod Amasalath is our second miner. An odd dwarf he claims to highly respect plants and the natural world. Personally I find him and his elfishness unsettling. Rakust Idnisgak is our brewer and cook. A friendly sort he is nonetheless rather dull, although I would never tell him that for fear of being cut off from our meagre supply of booze. Ducem Taramtobul is one of our farmers. I talk with him little as he spends most of his time sitting completely still staring off into space, apparently lost in thought. Finally there is Rith Gemeshas, another farmer who is know for her cleverness, impatience, and out of her hearing range for her many rolls of fat.

-----

Moonstone, Year 250

   

        Winter has now descended upon us. In the time since my first record we have made great progress. Above is a map of our main fortress levels current size. It was not long after I finished that first record that our prayers were answered and a small group of migrants arrived to assist us in our labors. Eventually we would receive another wave of migrants swelling our number to 20 and qualifying us as a hamlet. We have expanded our stockpiles and workshops as well as our farms.

    Several months earlier our miners pierced an enormous cavern layer far below our main fortress. Knowing well the potential dangers posed by the monstrous begins dwelling in their forgotten layers I ordered that many cage traps be constructed around the doorway to prevent anything from getting inside. Soon after several monster hunters petitioned for residence here, which I readily granted. It was very fortunate that I prepared our defenses as quickly as I did, for those monster hunters have reported sightings of a troll in the distant reaches of the caverns. Luckily it has not attacked anyone yet.


    We were also visited by a merchant caravan from the west. As we had no qualified dwarf available in took on the position of broker and traded many of our stone crafts for cloth and rum. I am beginning to become sick of plump helmet wine and the rum provided a welcome change. I hope that soon I will have a break from this menial drudgery and be able to devote myself to the artistic ventures I crave.

 -----
    Frantic shouting wakes me. What is going on? A messenger rushes into my cramped room to deliver the news. As the color drains from my face I offer a silent prayer to Armok. We are not prepared for this. What will we do?


-----
    I hope you enjoyed this writeup of my DF playthrough. Expect more posts soon. Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ducimmonag 7 - Harnessing the Beasts

Opal, Year 252           A terribly tragic accident has struck us. Udil the miner fell to his death while working on our new trap hall. This...